Miyerkules, Mayo 20, 2015

Creative Genius: Katie Brown, Editor in Chief of Yahoo Makers

Katie Brown

Meet Katie Brown, Editor in Chief of Yahoo Makers, author and host of the PBS series “Katie Brown Workshop”

As host of the PBS series “Katie Brown Workshop” and author of a whole shelf of books on decorating and entertaining, DIY maven Katie Brown started touting the benefits of homemade long before the term “maker” became popular. But now that it’s caught on, it’s only fitting that Katie would be at the helm of a new maker-focused channel on digital giant Yahoo. As Editor in Chief of Yahoo Makers, Katie plans, creates and curates some of the best lifestyle how-to content on the web. (Editorial disclosure note: DIYNetwork.com and sister site HGTV.com are among the brands featured on Yahoo Makers.) I had the pleasure of chatting with Katie about Yahoo Makers, the new generation of DIYers and the evolution of her personal brand of DIY. Read on to get Katie Brown’s homemade perspective.

This is the kind of adorably easy project for which Katie is known: How to Make a Cheerios Bird Feeder With Your Kid on Yahoo Makers

Me: Tell me about Yahoo Makers and your role as Editor in Chief.

Katie: We cover everything in DIY as it applies to lifestyle in a creative, entertaining way. We put up two new original videos a day — video is actually a big part of what we do, a big part of our programming. It makes sense with my TV background, and I think video is the best way to absorb how-to. So we spend a lot of time in production. We also partner with other players in the genre, curating the best of the best and pairing that with great original content. As Editor in Chief, I get to curate it all with a great team of photographers, videographers, writers and crafters.

Me: What are some of your favorite trends you’re seeing on Yahoo Makers right now?

Katie: I’m a true DIYer, I love upcycling, and I’m a sucker for a great pallet project. I’ve seen some great pallet houses recently. I also think 3D printing is really exciting. I like the merging that’s happening between DIY and technology. I love that Millenials are really DIYers. It’s fun to be speaking to a younger audience — a whole new generation is digging in and wanting to make it homemade.

Me: And Millenials have expanded DIY to new topic areas beyond the home, like fashion.

Katie: I like that they’re not so label-conscious. They take deep pride in saying, “I made this myself.”

Me: The universe of DIY has really expanded with the web.

Katie: Yes, and it’s intimidating because these people are so good! But we get to look at it all and choose the best of the best. We’re starting something called “Makers Make” where individuals can send in ideas on our Tumblr and we pick the best from our audience. It’s how we work with other brands like Brit + Co., Martha Stewart, HGTV and DIY Network, and blogs like P.S. I Made This, but this is about unearthing new talent and finding one-offs.

Me: Digital media is so different from TV and books, isn’t it?

Katie: Yes, I love TV and books, but this is so fun because it’s very immediate. If you like something, you just put it up there. It almost causes whiplash; it’s disorienting at first.

Me: Your style and brand have always been about simplicity and thriftiness. Has that changed at all since you’ve become a successful entrepreneur and mom of two?

Katie: Now that I have a family, I am busy ALL the time. I’m really even more committed to making things simple now. My tagline is, “Life is better homemade.” And it’s true. I recently did an Ikea hack of a dresser for my daughter, and I was happy to tell her I made this. Of course, thousands of other people have the same dresser from Ikea, but no one else’s has orange panels.

So my style hasn’t exactly evolved, it’s gotten deeper, even simpler. The one thing that has evolved is that I lust for organization. That’s part of keeping it simple, but specific to organizing.

Me: What are some of your favorite organizing ideas right now?

Katie: I love simple life hacks. I just saw this idea recently — when you’re painting, tie a rubber band around the paint can to use for resting your brush. That’s so smart!

Me: Are there any trends you wish would come back in style?

Katie: The first thing that comes to mind is that I love guest books in a house. People come in and sign and say something about themselves. My family had one growing up and it was like a living history of the house. People don’t do that anymore, even at weddings and parties.

Katie: And you know what else I really miss? I’ve moved a lot, and I just recently moved back to L.A. I wish neighbors would give people cherry pies when they move in, or something that says welcome. I guess that shows I’m from the Midwest, and it’s our little bit of being Southern. But when I was growing up and someone new moved into our neighborhood, our house smelled like cinnamon bread because my mom was baking something to welcome the neighbors. I wish more people did that.

Me: Like writing letters. Last month was National Letter Writing Month, and it’s nice to see people trying to keep that practice alive.

Katie: Yes. It’s a sense of graciousness that’s missing. We’re all super busy, but if we could pick one thing that’s our thing, whether it’s welcoming neighbors or writing letters, that would be great.

***

Well said, Katie Brown. I feel pretty grateful to have had the opportunity to talk with Katie and to work with her colleagues over at Yahoo Makers. I know you’ll love what you find over there. Be sure to check out Katie’s author channel to see everything that “Katie Loves.”

The Creative Genius series on Made + Remade features fabulous DIYers and makers who inspire us. Meet more Creative Geniuses and help us share the spirit of DIY!

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento